Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hard Day

First I have to apologize. I know not everyone that reads our blog is LDS so this isn’t going to make a lot of sense. I am lamenting about going to my last Young Women activity. I am being released from my 2 ½ year calling as the Young Women’s second counselor. I can’t explain why I am sad about this. I should be relieved. It will be the first time in almost 5 years that Chip and I will have our Tuesday nights back. He served in YM for 2 years, then we both served in YM/YW for a year and a half (This was really tricky because we had to either bring the kids or pay for a sitter), and now I’ve been in there alone for a year. Anyway, I’m sad. I am really going to miss the girls and the ladies I have worked with. I have learned so much from everyone. Our president, Julie, is seriously the most amazing lady. It stresses me to even think about what she juggles and accomplishes while making it all look easy. I am so grateful for working with her and watching how she has managed and guided our youth. Ilene, my beehive advisor, is someone I can only hope to become. She taught our girls almost every Sunday and I know her lessons were actually for me. She teaches with so much love and is very dynamic. Her words of wisdom will guide me my entire life. Yvonne has taught me ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE! That woman is a pro and has a real talent for managing situations. One can only aspire to acquire her talent. Annie taught me patience (4 kids under 4). She also taught me how to manage the YW in a stern, but loving way. Whenever things got a little rowdy we looked to Annie to settle it down. It always worked and the girls loved her the most. Laura is an inspiration on perspective and has made me feel the best about leaving. She has many fun and good ideas and I very much value her opinion in style and method. Dallas is a good time! She was the most fun with the girls and I also learned how to take a few extra seconds to make ordinary things look beautiful. Nothing I could say would explain how much I have loved working with my girls. They are all amazing and I have watched some of them turn from cute little girls to beautiful young ladies. I am so proud of all of them and I’m grateful for their friendships.

I’m not sure why I felt like I had to write this. I guess I needed to express these thoughts and maybe now that I’m done I am feeling a little better. I know this calling and release were inspired, but change is never easy. However, it does seem pretty ridiculous to be this heartbroken about loosing my very time consuming, volunteer job, but I have LOVED IT! I guess now it is onto new adventures, which like in anything is VERY scary! Where will they put me now!!!!!

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

I know what you mean. When I was RS pres. it was so much work and when they released me I was happy but I was surprised by how sad I was too. I really missed my counselors and working with the girls and the leaders in the ward.

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

I'm sorry! You were so good at that calling! They're going to miss you!

Laura said...

I will miss working with you in Young Women's. I'm so excited that we were able to work together for the time we did - so I could get to know you better. You will be awesome in any calling you have.

Julie said...

It is a weird thing when they release you from working with the YW. But you do recover and move on. I was in mourning the first time for almost 4 months! Once you are out of it for a couple months, you'll be content! Plus you so talented! They probably need you elsewhere! Best of luck and hang in there!

Sarah said...

oh wow... you've been great in that calling. i would've walked out of your never-ending meetings. can't wait to see where they put you!

Laura said...

Change is hard. I got released from YW when I had my twins. I was so sad too but needless to say I had a lot of other things to fill my time. I am sure the extra time with soften the blow (over time).

LWilliams said...

Chandler, Remember me? Wendy's mother? I am recommending these thoughts to Liz (Wendy's niece, who is in YW and has three children--who are sick all the time, etc., etc., etc. I think it will be helpful to her. I loved looking at the pictures of Chip's and your family and reading all about you. L.Williams