Our trip to Myrtle Beach was AWESOME!!! We truly had a great time, but it was not what we had expected. We thought we were going to a nice quiet beach community. We were way off. Myrtle Beach is 28 miles of total tourist chaos! It was anything, but quiet. To make it even more interesting we happened to book our trip during Bike Week. We had 52 weeks to choose from – seriously what luck! It actually was so much fun to see all the bikes and everyone may have looked a little rough around the edges, but they were all really fun and especially cute with Bean. She would give all the bikes around us thumbs up and say, “Nice bike, dude!” It was seriously amazing how many bikes were in town. The estimates were 300,000 bikes came in for the week. It definitely felt like it - by Friday we couldn’t drive anywhere without being completely surrounded by hogs.
One day we pulled up to get gas and Chip started to sing, “One of these things is not like the other.” I looked up and had to get this picture. Seriously, so many bikes!
The bikes did make for an adventure, but we did have our quiet beach time too. We went to a couple of different beaches, but our most favorite was a very secluded beautiful white sand beach on Pawley’s Island. The sand was so white and fine just like in Cancun and there were more shells than I have ever seen on a beach. We had a blast. Even Mayzie enjoyed the shells and sand – the water, not so much.
The Grand Strand – the 28 miles of tourist chaos had at least 25 different miniature golf places. Blakeslie knew where we were on the road based on which putt, putt we were passing. We had a great time going to her two favorites – Captain Hook’s and Jurassic Park.



Mayzie loved her first time swimming!
We went to Teddy Town and Blakeslie made her very own stuffed animal. She got to pick out its eyes, personality (she says imagination) she helped stuff it and then dressed and named it. Its name is Silly the Great – where do they come up with this stuff?

Our funniest adventure of the week was where we had lunch one afternoon. Keep in mind it is a very long strip of about a million restaurants- more than plenty to choose from. After finishing miniature golf we headed out to find a place to eat. First we headed north and then I found this coupon in one of the travel books.

I read what it said “Voted one of the top 10 places to take the kids in the nation.” –USA Today. Chip said, “Oh I know exactly where that is – it is in a mall not to far from the condo.” So we turned around and started driving south. 1 hour later….everyone is starving and bordering very grumpy…we pull up to this place.
Which was obviously off the beaten path and no where near a mall. We couldn’t believe it, but by this time we were all too hungry to go somewhere else and we had to see why it was such a great place to take kids. The bar was biker heaven and the inside was worse than the outside if you can believe it. To make it worse I had to feed the baby. It had to be the most uncomfortable place to choose to nurse. It was actually such a funny experience, but I gave Chip soooo much grief. Blakeslie told him he had lost all privileges of choosing where we ate from now on. We are hoping that one of the other locations on the coupon was the place for kids because this was not. I told Chip I was writing to USA Today! Of course we survived our adventure with only mild warping of our children’s brains and some good laughs.
We couldn’t resist joining in. Chip really wanted to rent a Harley with a side car so we could all cruise, but we settled for these pictures instead.


8 comments:
Wow! What a fun trip! I love that last pic...it seems to sum up your adventures in Mrytle Beach :)
What an adventure! I can't believe how big Mayzie is getting! We need to plan a trip to the Mayan Palace in Rocky Point. . . they have a ton of sea shells there too. By the way, Mayzie can't go to Duke, she needs to go to BYU and be roommates with Isabelle!
That sound so fun! I had a roommate in college from Myrtle Beach and have always wanted to go- now I have been through you! I love hearing about what Blakeslie says- I can just hear Chip saying the same things!
Looks like a fun trip...Lindsay said you wanted to get a hold of me. I'm not sure if you still have our number, but it's the same as it always has been. We have a little blog, you can see us on there also it's enmsorensen.blogspot.com
I'm so glad you guys had such a great time, but I seriously can't believe you chose Alligator Adventure over the Ripley's Aquarium. That place TOTALLY freaked me out.
Myrtle is a biker local regardless of a rally... I can't imagine what it was like during Bike Week!
I really wish we could have gotten together. Will we ever be able to coordinate a get together again!?!!
By the way... what's with Chip's Utah t-shirt?
Looks like SO much fun! Blakeslie will make a fabulous biker chick, and little M is growing so fast! You all look so cute!
looks like SO much fun! you guys are so adventurous. sorry about the "best place for kids restaurant" this is a mean joke for USA Today to play on everyone! I'm so glad you dropped by yesterday, it was great to see you!!!
Wow! I am jealous-that looks like tons of fun. You guys always take the most adventurous and fun vacations. Why does my life have to be so boring... The most fun we are going to have is in Seattle this summer, but it will probably be mostly house hunting...so excited!
Post a Comment